- configuration file location
- The configuration file is read from $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/a4/a4.ini
by default. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not set, it reads from
$HOME/.config/a4/a4.ini. If $HOME is not set, it reads from
./a4.ini. Alternatively, the user can specify the configuration
file path using the -c command line parameter.
$ a4 -c ./a4_test.ini
- specifying colors and attributes
- In order to specify the appearance of an element, you give the
foreground color, followed by the background color, followed by
the font attributes. Specifying any of these is optional, but
if you do specify any of them they must be in this order. You
may choose the default color of the underlying terminal by
titlebar_readonly = 1 -1 italic titlebar_urgent = 0xffffff 0xaaaaaa reverse,bold,singleColors may be either an indexed color number, 0-255, or a specific 24-bit RGB color (see 8-bit, 256-color table). Indexed colors are the 8 standard colors (0-7), 8 bright colors (8-15), 216 extended colors (16-231), and 24 grayscale colors (232-255). Note that the actual color displayed when specifying an indexed color number is determined by how the underlying terminal defines the color for each index number. 24-bit RGB colors must be defined as a six digit hexidecimal number 0xRRGGBB where each of RGB is a hexidecimal digit 0-9, A-F, a-f. You may also specify a color as -1 to use the underlying terminal's default color.
Font attributes may be one of the following, although their implementation depends on the underlying terminal on which you are running a4. In order to combine any of attributes, separate them bya comman with no space.
bold italic reverse strike blink
You may also use one of these three underline types.
single double curly
- The currently selected or focused terminal window. If there is a group of focused windows they will all use these attributes.
Actions are functions in a4 that may be assigned to keyboard sequences. There are a few "special" action keywords as well.
special keyword actions
- Any of the below actions that are assigned to the special keyword "startup" are run when a4 is initially started, in the order they are defined in the configuration file. Example
keyboard actions list
- Create a new terminal. Default keybinding to C-g+c
- Move the selected terminal to the top of the zoomed area. Default keybinding to C-g+Enter
- focusnext, focusnextnm, focusprev, focusprevnm
- tag, toggletag
- view, viewprevtag
- hidestatusbar, showstatusbar, togglestatusbar
- topstatusbarpos, botstatusbarpos, togglestatusbarpos
- scrollbackpct, scrollbacklines
- zoomnum, zoomsize
mouse actions list